Importing Vehicles into Canada: Things to know!

You are all set to purchase your dream car in the US and get it to Canada. The next step is to understand the importing requirements. All imports, including vehicles, are facilitated by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). Before you can get your car, you must complete the necessary formalities and pay the taxes and duties, for clearing the vehicle at the port of arrival. Most importers, especially those new to importing vehicles, often have a hard time understanding compliance and formalities. That’s precisely where a customs broker can help. You can check for Clearit car import, which offers a flat-fee import option for personal vehicles. In this post, we are sharing some basic details worth knowing. 

Check the importing requirements

First things first, check if the vehicle was made in 2004 or later. There are some vehicles that cannot be imported into Canada. For this, requirements set by Transport Canada and the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) must be met. Also, there are other requirements of CBSA, Environment, and Climate Change Canada, and Canada Food Inspection Agency to be followed. If you want to get a vintage vehicle, check with your customs broker to know the options. 

Get the documentation right

You will need the basic documentation to get the vehicle into Canada. The list includes the Certificate of Origin, Original vehicle title, Bill/Invoice of sale, Manufacturer’s statement of compliance and EPA label. Also, if you are importing the car from the United States, you will need NAFTA and Recall Clearance Letter. If you are hiring a customs broker, they will handle the necessary formalities, and ensure that the duties and taxes are paid. 

Understanding the costs

For importing vehicles into Canada, you must pay 5% GST along with other costs. If the car’s VIN doesn’t start with 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5, you must also pay the NAFTA Duty, which is around 6.1%. You must also pay HST and excise tax.  

Other things to know

Selected Canadian Provinces have their own regulations with regards to importing certain vehicles. Your vehicle will be inspected by provincial agents, and in some cases, also by federal agents. If you are getting the car from US into Canada, you may want to get a Temporary License Plate. 

Considering that self-importing isn’t an option right now in Canada, because of the mandatory quarantine rules, consider talking to a customs broker. There are some amazing customs brokers, who can guide on the process. 

Related posts

Five Effects of Strong Leadership on Employees

Andrea M. Bailey

The role of NGOs in environmental protection:

Clare Louise

5 Reasons Customer Service is Important for Organizational Success

Andrea M. Bailey